Brasted away, this was always going to be popular – last time we visited, the service at the 96 coffee shop may not have been good, but the servers had looked great. It was under new management, so the boys were keen to know if the service would be as good as before, as we ran past the front I checked the opening time and saw it now didn’t open until 10am – too late for us. (see picture later)
It was like one of those integrity tests that internal discipline conduct in large companies – do I mention it and create a small mutiny or just keep ‘mum’ until the last minute. Now, I have seen the ‘Pleb Gate’ comments in the press and the officers apologies for going to the media too early – so I decided to show that, you can teach old farts new tricks – I decided therefore not to publicise the fact that there was no post run coffee, too early – so kept mum (yes I know it may not have been brave but it was at least current !)
Now the pre run brief had been my normal honest balanced view of the run. It had stated that “most of the up was at the start of the run”. Now at the top of the first hill and at the bottom of the second hill there was some criticism of the run description – so I thought it would be useful to give a translation of running coach speak into working English … for the top 6 - see below
- Most of the up is at the start of the run = The first hill is a bastard and then there are least a couple more.
- Gently undulating = Its bloody hilly
- This is the last hill = There are two more hills to come after this one
- We are nearly back = We are still a couple of miles out.
- It’s a beautiful run = It is a beautiful run, but you probably wont notice it as by the time you get to the views your vision will be too blurred to see it.
- It is all down hill from here = I am lying, and you know it really.
Now to be fair there were some stunning
performances on todays run. Some of the slower group moving up to join the
faster group. You guys are really doing well – and you should be rightly proud
of yourselves. Well done !!!
Now the moment did come during the stretch session where I had to tell the guys that the coffee shop was not open . Fergal (see photo – did not take the news well !!!)